When Wiley from Saichek Publishing contacted me with an offer of a free book, I heartily agreed. He then sweetened the deal by allowing me to provide two copies as giveaways for you, my readers!
Margarita Wednesdays is the third book from Deborah Rodriguez. Travel with her from Kabul, Afghanistan to the Napa Valley, US and finally to her new home in Mazatlán, Mexico. Join her on a journey of healing from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) - an on-going process that takes time and includes slip-ups and set-backs, support and solace.
The book opens with a scene in Kabul that is reminiscent of some action movie, only it's not. Deborah provides a brief introduction to her life in Kabul and the key figures who cause her to flee - for reasons of both love and fear.
As you turn the pages, you begin to recognize her signs of PTSD - feelings of hopelessness, the inability to feel comfortable when things are calm, paralyzing fear, fitful sleep, crying jags and other indications that she is suffering.
Fortunately, she meets Cynthia, a former therapist, now B&B owner, who helps her reclaim herself. As a former sufferer of "retail therapy", I was particularly pleased that Cynthia explained that:
"Shopping can provide a shot of dopamine for some people, which makes them feel happy and satisfied, for however long it lasts."
This can lead to an addiction - complete with the rush and the withdrawal symptoms.
In this book, you'll learn about life in Mazatlán through the eyes of an ex-pat. Customs, superstitions and family life feature largely in this book. She even offers a tip for those of you who have trouble finding your car in parking lots.
"Irreverent, insightful, and blatantly honest, Deborah takes us along on her inspiring journey of self-discovery and renewal after she is forced to flee Afghanistan in 2007. She first lands in California, where she feels like a misfit teetering on the brink of sanity. Where was that fearless redhead who stared danger in the face back in Kabul?
After being advised to commune with glowworms and sit in contemplation for one year, Rodriguez finally packs her life and her cat into her Mini Cooper and moves to a seaside town in Mexico. Despite having no plan, no friends, and no Spanish, a determined Rodriguez soon finds herself swept up in a world where the music never stops and a new life can begin. Her adventures and misadventures among the expats and locals help lead the way to new love, new family, and a new sense of herself.
In the magic of Mexico, she finds the hairdresser within and builds the life she never knew was possible - a life on her own terms."
How to enter the giveaway:
- To enter the giveaway, leave a short comment on this post about books, reading, healing or travel.
- Entries must be received by midnight PST on Friday, December 12th, 2014.
- This contest is open to anyone of legal age who has a mailing address in Canada or the US.
- For extra entries to the draw, let’s get social:
- On Twitter? Share the following: I just entered a #giveaway from @AuntieStress for a copy of Margarita Wednesdays, thx to @WileySaichek: http://wp.me/p2PenP-1k4 #book
- Make your way over to my Pinterest Board called "Giveaways." Earn one entry by clicking “Comment”, then leave one. Earn another entry by re-pinning this giveaway announcement.
- On Google+? Be sure to +MariannaPaulson when you share the link and you’ll earn another entry.
Two winning entrants will be drawn from a hat. You will be notified via email. Your name will appear here, as well as on Twitter, Pinterest and Google+.