T'is the season for treats and sweets! As a result, you may become a little sluggish as your system works hard to keep up.
Here is a crunchy salad that will work well on its own as a complete meal. Delight your eyes with the festive colours and thrill your body with taste and nutrition.
Vroom-Vroom Salad Ingredients
- Beets, slivered
- Carrots, shredded
- Celery root, slivered
- Cucumber, thinly sliced
- Green or purple cabbage, shredded
- Jicama, shredded
- Kale, finely torn
- Radishes, red or daikon, thinly sliced
- Red onion, thinly sliced
- Small tomatoes, chopped in half
- Parsley, finely chopped
- Frozen edamame beans, thawed, not in pod
- Olives - I like Kalamata
- Pomegranate seeds
- Cashews, toasted
- Sunflower seeds, toasted
- Pumpkin seeds, toasted
- Fennel seeds, toasted
- Blueberries, frozen or fresh
- Cranberries, dried
- Olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
Putting it together
You'll want to use your food processor or mandolin, if you have one. The finer, thinner you can cut up your ingredients, the better this salad tastes. You'll notice that I don't tell you how much of each ingredient to add. If you're feeling uncertain about how much of each ingredient to add, start small. Adjust as you gain more confidence.
- Toast cashew nuts. You can either do it in the frying pan, over medium-low heat, or in the oven. Just be sure to shuffle often.
- Toast pumpkin and sunflower seeds. If adding fennel seeds, do so about half-way through.
- Prepare your dressing. I've done this two ways:
- Mashing up the blueberries, then adding oil, vinegar and salt and pepper.
- When your salad is prepared, add the ingredients, adjusting to your taste. I encourage you to do #2 to help you trust yourself when it comes to cooking.
- Place all the ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well. Let sit about 20-30 minutes before serving, stirring once or twice to blend the flavours.
- Enjoy the get-up-and-go (in more ways than one) from this salad. Vroom-Vroom!
Sign up here to receive notification each time I publish a new entry in Cooking with Confidence.
More Cooking with Confidence: