Do you long to pick up some crayons or pencil crayons and start colouring, but stop yourself because you think it's too childish or that it's a time-waster? Well, here are a few reasons why you may wish to rummage through your desk and pull out those neglected crayons in hues that instantly transport you back in time:
- You develop mindfulness. The accent is placed on simple tasks that require repetitive motion, which, according to Mark Robert Waldman, helps focus the brain on the present.
- Gives you an opportunity to play which Stuart Brown MD compares to oxygen: "It's all around us, yet goes mostly unnoticed or unappreciated until it's missing."
- Opens the channels of communication when you color with your child. A friend of mine told me that she learns a lot about her daughter when they spend time colouring together.
- May remind you of your childhood and simpler times.
- Doesn't require a lot of time or money.
- According to psychologist Gloria Martínez Ayala, colouring activates different areas of the cerebral hemispheres: "The action involves both logic, by which we color forms, and creativity, when mixing and matching colors. This incorporates the areas of the cerebral cortex involved in vision and fine motor skills [coordination necessary to make small, precise movements]. The relaxation that it provides lowers the activity of the amygdala, a basic part of our brain involved in controlling emotion that is affected by stress."
About the giveaway:
The winner will choose one from the following titles from Skyhorse Publishing:
- Paisleys - Coloring for Everyone
- Paisleys - Coloring for Artists
- Mandalas - Coloring for Everyone
- Mandalas - Coloring for Artists
"Since 2013, coloring books targeted to adults have topped bestselling charts, selling more than 1.4 million copies in over twenty-two languages. Skyhorse’s four books, the only adult coloring books on the market with perforations, will allow budding artists to gift or display their beautiful creations! With a tremendous capacity to combat stress, it’s no surprise that adult coloring books have become the biggest trend!
This four-book series features vibrant illustrations and detailed introductions highlighting the history of both the paisley and mandala motifs. Eleven pages of full-color designs illustrate, for the beginner or advanced artist, the design and coloring typical of these ancient patterns. Easy-to-follow steps reveal how artists can draw mandalas and paisleys freehand or via their computer." - Skyhorse Publishing
How to enter the giveaway:
- To enter the giveaway, leave a short comment on this post about why you like colouring.
- Entries must be received by midnight PST on Friday, June 12th, 2015.
- This contest is open to anyone of legal age who has a mailing address in Canada or the US.
- For extra entries to the draw, get social:
- On Twitter? Share the following: I just entered a #giveaway from @AuntieStress for an adult #coloringbook, thx to @skyhorsepub: http://wp.me/p2PenP-1sV #coloringbook
- Make your way over to my Pinterest Board called "Giveaways." Earn one entry by clicking “Comment” then leave one. Earn another entry by re-pinning this giveaway announcement.
- On Google+? Be sure to +MariannaPaulson when you share the link and you’ll earn another entry.
- There is a separate draw for my newsletter subscribers. Get on the list here.
Two winning entrants will be drawn from a hat: one from my blog entrants and another one from my newsletter subscriber list.
You will be notified via email. Your name will appear here, as well as on Twitter, Pinterest and Google+.